From finding your one to presenting the gospel, use these tips to get started.
1. Find your one
Not sure how to answer the question, “Who’s your one?” yet? Here are a few suggestions to help.
• Family: Who could love your family members more than you do?
• Close friends: Who do you want to tell when you have news (good or bad)?
• Neighbor: Who lives right next door to you?
• Coworkers: Who works across from you, or who do you run into in the break room?
• Cashier or server: Who are the people you see at your regular shopping and dining
• Classmate: Who do you see in class, the library or lab?
• Teammate: Who plays in the same league as you?
• Online friend: With whom do you engage on social media?
• Fellow parent: Who are the parents of your child’s friends?
• Workout buddy: With whom do you go to the gym or run?
2. Serve your one
Once you’ve identified your one, let them know you care through acts of service.
• Take them out for a cup of coffee.
• Write a note of encouragement.
• Hand out notes of encouragement to those who serve you at grocery stores,
restaurants, etc., letting them know they are prayed for and loved by Jesus.
• Send a text asking how you can pray for them.
• Drop off a gift card for your one at their door and leave them a hand-written note
explaining why you did it.
• Type up a note saying you’re offering to help your neighbors in any way they need.
Leave it on neighbors’ mailboxes or on their doors. Offer to do yard work, run
errands, etc. Ask for prayer requests. Put contact information on the note.
• Any time the Lord puts your one on your mind, take the time to pray for them, then
send them a text or DM them to let them know you have been praying for them and
ask how they are doing.
3. Start the conversation
Use these simple questions and conversation starters to lead the way to a gospel conversation with your one.
• Can I ask you a question that’s really important to me? Has anyone ever told you
that God loves you and sent his son Jesus to die for you?
• Do you have any spiritual beliefs?
• How can I pray for you?
• Are you a religious person?
• Do you have a church that you attend?
• Do you believe in God? What do you believe about Him?
• When is the last time someone told you that God loves you?
• Did you grow up in church? What were you taught about God growing up? Do you
still believe that?
• What do you think the solution to (insert recent troubling news event) is?
• Can I share my story with you briefly? Or, can I tell you about the best thing that
ever happened to me?
• What do you think it takes to go to heaven?
• How’s your day going? Listen to how they respond and let them know you will be
praying for them. Go back and see them again and let them know you’ve been
praying for them and follow up on how they are doing. Then ask if they have any
• Share your testimony on social media. Then, copy the link to the post and text it to
your one saying, “I just shared my story on social media. Would you watch it and let
me know what you think?”
• Suggest a Christian movie for you and your one to watch and discuss.
• Relate with your one’s struggle